Monday, April 23, 2007

VT tragedy, new students, tennis champions!!

A week ago today there was complete mayhem at Va Tech. A crazy student killed 32 people and himself. It still seems unreal. The Hokie community pulled together, as would be expected, and the rest of the world followed suit. Even Ellen Degeneres wore orange and maroon on her show on last Friday, the day that was dedicated "Orange and Maroon Effect Day" to honor those who lost their lives in this tragedy. Some of the students and staff at my school followed my suggestion that we participate by wearing Hokie colors. I took some pics, but as usual haven't downloaded them yet. Will post them later!

I have had two new students start in my class in the past week and needless to say.. our classroom dynamics have changed! Today a little girl with Down Syndrome, Mary, celebrated her 3rd bday and her first day of school. Sweet little girl, involved parents, just really young developmentally. It's like having a new baby in the house. EVERYTHING has to be baby proofed all over the room. I have the greatest E.A. (ed. asst.) who always makes my job so much easier, but we were feelin' the stress today! And, on top of it all, we had a "lockdown" drill today. Do you know how hard it is to keep preschool students with disabilities quiet, in one space, and explain it all to them? All things considered, it went well.

This weekend, my tennis friend Julie and I won the 3.0 Doubles Division of a tennis tournament in Lahiana! I have never won any tennis tourney!! We were in the paper Saturday .. a picture!! Anyway, we played two matches yesterday (with a 30 min. break in between) in the scorching heat and pulled it off! We are sooo thrilled!! :) Pics to be added soon...

Be in touch! :) Suz

No comments: